How now Moscow?

Lurch

What do you do for a living?
2024 POTY
wonder if it is related to this:

A Crackdown on Russian Artists Paints a Portrait of a Scared Putin​

The FSB has begun searching and questioning dissident artists, which reveals the power—and the Kremlin’s fear—of art.​

“This machine kills fascists”: The simple but powerful slogan emblazoned on Woody Guthrie’s guitar amid a particularly patriotic streak during World War II has spawned numerous imitations and copycats in the intervening decades. But its message—that art has the strength to challenge authoritarianism in any guise—still rings true. Whether the fascist label applies to Mr. Putin may be a matter up for debate, but his fear of the arts is now undeniable.
Last week, the FSB (Russia’s internal security service and successor to the KGB) launched a campaign across the country interrogating contemporary artists and raiding their homes and studios. More than 30 in at least seven cities—including Moscow and St. Petersburg—were caught up in the agency’s actions, though those numbers are no doubt higher considering that several refused to be identified in interviews with local news outlets out of fear of reprisal.
The pretense for these interrogations revolves around the case of Pyotr Verzilov—former member of the activist art collective Pussy Riot and publisher of the independent, anti-Putin media outlet MediaZona—with whom the targeted artists allegedly had connections. Mr. Verzilov, who is currently fighting in Ukraine against the Russian invasion, now seems to be the target of a treason case in his homeland—this after a separate incident last year when he was convicted and sentenced in absentia to 8½ years in prison for opposing that “special military operation.” (According to multiple media reports, that sentence has since been canceled and the case set for retrial.)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-crac...ortrait-of-a-scared-putin-airdigital-36e59ef7

DrSublux

Who me? I’m 6’10” pal!
2024 POTY
GJTIcyyWgAAMePX

Ser Sensei Silver

Who me? I’m 6’10” pal!
2024 POTY
Way off topic but looks like we are getting House of the Dragon Season 2 in June. Have you seen the trailers? I love that they made a trailer for both factions black and green.

I read about them, but haven't watched. I'll probably rewatch season 1.

Gimme Shelter

Let it bleed
2024 POTY
ISIS and the USA are partnering up

The U.S. Embassy in Moscow warned Americans to avoid going to concerts in Moscow just weeks before gunmen launched an attack at a concert venue on Friday.

Several gunmen opened fire at Crocus City Hall, a large music venue in the Moscow area, leaving an unknown number of victims injured. Many details about the shooting, including who the suspected shooters are and what their motive may have been, remained unclear as responders were still at the scene.

Back